March goes out like a lamb....


Apparently not in Calgary. We're expecting 20 cm of snow tonight. This after a gorgeous sunny morning where I was sitting on the back deck in a t-shirt. Oh well... this too shall pass!!

Having said that I've finished my December piece for the Bead Journal Project. December for me started the last weekend in November when, for some as yet undefined reason, the muscles from my knee to my groin on the inside of my right leg seized completely. Despite the efforts of two friends, both of whom have massage techniques, we couldn't get the muscles to let go. In fact, the chiropractor wasn't having much success either. I finally ended up having IMS - a needle technique that forces the muscles to let go - done after Christmas. So Christmas wasn't fun; I missed work for a month; and I didn't get much sleep. Neither muscle relaxants nor codeine seemed to help much with the pain.

So my December piece is absolutely a reflection of that month. The background is burgundy silk, the beads represent the knots in the muscles and the silver stars represent the sharp pain that was a constant.

I guess I should say that my hip is now almost 100% and I'm spending more time finishing projects that should have been completed earlier.

On a much lighter note, I just finished Susan Sorrell's Fiber Collage class on Joggles. It was interesting. I really had to push myself to add the beads and the French knots. I like things to be simple and I really needed to push myself to go beyond what I thought was enough. Even at that I'm sure I could do much more. However, I'm not quite there yet. Maybe on the next one.

As for the BJP, I've designed the January piece and possibly March. Still haven't figured out what February will be. I might just have to cover a piece with beige beads and leave it at that.

Cheers!!

Comments

Tracey Leeder said…
I feel so bad for you! i live in chronic pain and I know a thing or two about what you are describing. It is torture! Every now and then my neck muscles down my shoulder and into my arm "lock up" like you desribe. It is sheer hell until it finally decides to let go. You poor thing! I like your piece. I think you did an awesome job with your bead choices representing the pain you dealt with. Nice work!
Marty S said…
This is a powerfully expressive piece. I hope you continue to feel good. It's a contrast to the fabric collage. That one's so cheerful and upbeat.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader
Robin said…
Good for you that you're back in business again... but sorry about the month of lost work and pain. No fun there. I recognized the hip shape immediately on your piece and when I clicked to enlarge (before reading your text) I saw the stars and thought ouch... pain... I wondered if you'd fallen and broken your hip. So congrats on your visual journaling! About that pain and prevention of a relaps, I suggest a good physical therapist to give you a short exercise routine and to analyze your posture and walking for minor corrections that could be preventative... Hugs, Robin A.
KV said…
Incredible piece of work! Gosh, I sure hope you are doing much better and that spring will be just around the corner up there . . .


Kathy V in NM
Sabine said…
Yes, I can see how you must have suffered. But even this has two sides, like everything else has: At least something beautiful came out of it in the end.

Sabine
pam T said…
Very, very cool result from a not so cool happening! Love how you depicted it!
Ellen said…
Wow, I love all your pages, sorry to know you have had such pain to deal with, life shouldn't be like that! I wish you a pain free year;)

Popular posts from this blog

January's bead project

Marking Time

When I grow up ...